Thursday, December 19, 2013

Launching new RRISD Productivity Blog - This is How We Work - Thanks Lifehacker.com


Click on the Productivity Central tab at the top of the site to check out our new RRISD Productivity Blog. We will be highlighting some of the most productive people in Round Rock ISD. The first post is below.

Mya Mercer
Mya Mercer has been the principal of Old Town Elementary since 2011. During her first year in the Principalship she attended a two-day workshop that focused on executive productivity and specifically how principals can organize themselves in a way that allows them to spend more time away from the front office. Since then she has been able to implement a system where she spends two "coaching days" each week where her teachers and parents know that if they need her she will be in classrooms coaching teachers and visiting with students. Her goal is to get to three "coaching days" a week. Read on to see how she organizes herself day-to-day as a mom, wife, and principal.


Location: Old Town Elementary

Current Gig: Principal

Current Mobile Device: Iphone

Current Personal Computer: Dell XPS Ultrabook

One word that best describes how you work: #Purposefully

What apps/software/tools can't you live without?: I don't really know how I've lived this long without google, camera, instagram, eduphoria, twitter and houzz apps, texting and my chargers for all my devices! I also really love to use Smore (http://goo.gl/PnXtUE) for my staff weekly newsletter and I've traded my wikispace for a page on our school's website (http://goo.gl/PwwmGw) where I have recently traded ordinary links for a symbaloo webmix...(Thanks Leslie:-) 

What's your workspace like?: I try to keep a neat workspace free from extraneous clutter most days! I have both a desk and conference table for office work and meetings. At least two full days out of the week, I am out and about in classrooms and common areas, so on those days "my workspace" is more mobile and adaptive.

What's your best time-saving trick/life-hack?: I tend to Google most things (information, graphics, etc...) but, I do find setting the coffee pot to "auto brew" each night for the morning to be a major time saver...that's about the only thing I can't "Google" to save time!

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without?: Unless I absolutely had to, I would have to say I would find it very difficult to go back to my life before Ipad/tablet. This thing has every app I need/use on it: calendar, books, periodicals, Netflix, Candy Crush, Drive, Prezi, podcast subscriptions, Eduphoria etc. Yes, the same apps I could access on my phone, only much better on the eyes!

Mya's Office
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else? What's your secret?: I would hope it's not procrastination, but some have told me that I'm really good at smiling and making cornbread Belgian waffles!

What do you listen to while you work?: This depends on the day. On "coaching days," I enjoy listening to students collaborating, sharing their thinking, and interacting with instruction in meaningful ways. On "office days," one might find me listening to parents, teachers, students or my own thoughts as I respond to a good amount of email!

What are you currently reading?: Currently, I'm reading "Who Owns the Learning" by Alan November. He speaks a lot to teaching students how to think, lead, contribute to their own learning and provide solutions to real world problems in the digital age.

Are you more of an introvert or extrovert?: I'm most certainly an introvert, but love being surrounded by positive extroverts who have a great sense of humor!
What's your sleep routine like?: I'm more of a day person. Most evenings I'm in bed by 9:30pm-ish but find myself making a "to do list" at 5:00am-ish.
Mya's Desk

Fill in the blank. I'd love to see _______ answer these same questions.: I would love to hear what Leslie Long, our superstar ITS, would have to say in response to the lifehack question!

What's the best advice you've ever received?: The best advice I have ever received is to be kinder than necessary, because you never know what difficulty, trial or tribulation a person might be going through.

Is there anything else you want to add for readers?: Life's too short to not live it fully, on purpose and with gratitude! Hope everyone's having a great year so far!

Thanks +Mya Mercer. Who in Round Rock ISD would you like to learn more about how they organize their daily lives and seem so productive? Comment below or send suggestions to Ryan Smith



1 comments:

Post a Comment